Back in 2010, I created a six- figure income from a hobby run amok. I was helping entrepreneurs who wanted to write and publish books build their platforms. It was fun and I enjoyed learning new methods and working with people one-on-one.
Then something happened…I realized that I wanted this to be a full- time career.
That’s when the stress began! In my head, I knew that I had to begin creating content if I wanted to grow. In my heart I had a lot of objections. Some of them felt like this:
- I have zero time in my schedule for this
- I have to invest in other areas before I start marketing
- I have no idea where to begin or if people would even be interested.
The self- chatter was annoying. There were days I felt like these beliefs were crushing my business growth. Then I created a challenge..what if I did this for three months to see how it goes? This is something I do many times when I feel overwhelmed by the prospect of taking on something new. So, that is what I did.
It started with a blog.
Back then, I used to write long blogs and it seemed really cumbersome and no one seemed to read them. Then, I got lazy and started writing short blogs. All of a sudden, I had readers. As cumbersome as it was for me to write a long blog, it seemed that my readers didn’t have the attention span for a long blog. The good news? It was easier to write a small blog every week.
My next challenge was the Call-to-Action at the bottom of the blog and the sidebar on my website.
What could I provide to my blog readers that would add value and pique their interest to subscribe?
Here were some of the things I came up with that worked!
- Checklists– I created an Authorpreneur Checklist. This one-page pdf became my most- downloaded lead magnet. It took me fifteen minutes to create!
- Tip Sheets– Another one- page that is easy to brand and send out the door.
- White Papers– These were great for establishing credibility and bringing in more qualified prospects. Easy to publish.
- Special Reports– Short reports/ articles that taught my followers how to achieve tasks needed for platform building.
- Educational Video– Step- by-Step educational tools with actionable tips.
All of these were easy to produce and amazing list builders.