Giving Something Away Free Builds Trust!
The best way to build an email list? Hands down…a cool freebie. I hear the sigh in the audience…but I am here to make money. This is the way to do it baby. Be a giver.
This doesn’t mean you have to give away the farm. Just offer something that will be informational and valuable. It is a simple formula. The free gift in exchange for your email address. If you like my free giveaway, look into me a little more and find out what else I have that may be valuable.
So what is a really great freebie for an author?
- Free books Exchange the address for a free eBook. If you are a fiction author, choose one of your titles or giveaway a short story that has never been published before. If you are a nonfiction author, craft an eBook that will be useful. It doesn’t have to be long, in fact, shorter is better.
- Podcast Make all of your podcasts free. Useful information and interviews can be helpful to listeners. The other benefit is that followers will hear your voice and get your sense of humor. You become real for your audience.
- Special reports Disseminate the latest information in your niche with a short special report. Be the first one to let the cat out of the bag and people will see you as a trendsetter.
- Top 10 Lists– Be the next David Letterman. No not really, but top 10 lists are a great way to hit bullet points easily and provide value at the same time.
- Manifesto or blue-print Teach people how to do something. This is a more powerful tool if you survey your audience first. Find out what they need and write it!
- Video or Vlog Create a video with information that you want to give out. The beauty of this tool is that your audience will see you and hear you. Be authentic and likeable and they will be eating out of your hands.
- How- To- Resources The delivery method is not as important as the valuable info. Make it easy enough for a five- year- old to follow and people will make you their go- to person in the future.
This is where the sales funnel begins. Make sure you craft your autoresponder to take your new audience from the freebie and into products and services that will build their trust and make them see how valuable you are without selling.